A couple months ago, God laid it on my heart to pick up a book called Made to Crave. I am only half way through it but wow, is it ever convicting. All my life I have struggled with what to eat and dieting. I have tried just about every fad diet out there. I am realizing that food is an addiction, as well as, a spiritual battle for me. And I would guess, for many others as well. In my journey to be wise in what I put in my mouth, I came across a website The Weston A. Price Foundation. During my battle with all the fad diets, I always struggled with the question, "If God made wheat to make bread and cows to produce milk, why is it that those are considered unhealthy for us?" So many nutritionists and doctors claim to keep low calorie and low fat diets. Reading about whole foods and fats, I have discovered, this all just makes sense! I have been reading a lot of the ideals in Heavenly Homemakers too. Sooo...over the past few weeks I have revamped our eating lifestyle. I am slowing getting rid of all of our processed foods and switching over to butter, whole milk, heavy cream, homemade bread with all wheat flour, lots of fruits and veggies, and lots and lots of Kefir smoothies. I have lost weight and have NEVER felt better. I do not crave any of the junk I used. And best of all, I do not feel deprived! If something sounds good, I make it, FROM SCRATCH, using real, whole foods. Last night we had Italian Cream Cheese Chicken. I took a pic and sent it to my sisters. Well, here is the picture....
My sister said, "That looks like 100,000 calories." You need to add two blocks of cream cheese and and 2 cups of heavy cream to the two sticks of butter and chicken. I had a generous portion served over brown rice. It was so good. It is going to be difficult getting over the "high fat" label that goes along with all of these foods, but it still makes sense. For years people have been eating all of these animal fat diets, and not until over the past 50 years have heart attacks and obesity been out of control. A book I am reading Eat Fat Lose Fat, has great evidence to suggest that since the introduction of margarine, other polysaturated oils (vegetable and canola), and other "low fat" and "low calorie" foods, Americans health has deteriorated. I have been reading labels everywhere and have clung to the rule, if you don't know the ingredient, your body doesn't know what to do with it either. So begins our journey of our healthy eating lifestyle.
No comments:
Post a Comment