Friday May 15th, our fifth daughter was born. As I sit here and think about the experience, I am in awe...every time it has been so amazing. My heart is overwhelmed with love for her. I will just walk through the past few days with pictures as I am not feeling very articulate with my words.
Right after Ava came out, she had a really difficult time breathing. There were nurses surrounding her and I had no idea what was going on. After about 15 minutes of them pounding on her back, and suctioning her nose and mouth, a nurse informed me she was going to have to go to the NIM (neonatal intermediate care unit). She said it was the step down from NICU. They were going to be able to observe her more closely and assured me that they would be able to wheel my bed down so I could see her. Whew, talk about flood of emotions! I just wanted to hold her....
My sister from CA came and stayed with us a couple of days before the delivery. I was soo thankful for her!! She took care of the rest of the crew while Terr spent the night in the hospital with me our first night. She carted my kids to their soccer and softball games the day after Ava was born. Thanks again so much Les for your help!!
We tried to get a picture of all five of them...we took about 15 pictures and in EVERY one Lillian could not keep her eyes off her new baby sister. Isabelle was afraid her head was going to fall off because of how much we told them to be careful with her little neck. And I think Lillian is crushing Emma's feet, hence her facial expression.
Next attempt...a little better. Can't really see little Ava though.
The day that we were suppose to go home she was tested for jaundice and the poor child did not pass this test either. Sorry, let me back up....after her breathing problems, she had blood sugar problems. She was being tested every 2 hours to check those levels and we ended up having to supplement formula. That was another little roller coaster. Once her blood sugar levels were under control...the jaundice hit. So here she is under the bilirubin light....she definitely did not enjoy this but in this next picture, I almost think it is a smile....she loves being on her tummy.
Oh, she is such a honey!!
Going home!! They were planning on keeping her and I an extra day because her bilirubin levels were not going down. They ended up testing her again a little earlier that day and they went down slightly and said we could go home! Woo hoo! That nights sleep was awesome!
I am sure that this baby will be held often as this is the first question they ask me every time they see her. Lillian has given her too many kisses to count...they are going to be great big sisters!

4 comments:
Congrats, again. She is beautiful and she is LOVED!
She is just beautiful! Congratulations, fellow family with five girls. :-) I just love the pictures! Such special memories!! We couldn't be happier for you!
i guess things must be going well since you already have time to blog...go supermom! sorry we didn't make it to the hospital, but thought it would be nice to stop by once you are a little more settled and bring you some food and a little something for Ava. i will call or email after the holiday weekend and see if we can work something out (promise not to stay too long!)
xoxoxox
Jess...I can hear your love overflowing through your words for little Ava. So precious! Congratulations on yet another BEAUTIFUL Troeger girl. Love you!
Post a Comment