Monday, May 19, 2008

Chicago to California

I have had good intentions to update for quite some time now.  Can not believe what these busyweeks have brought.  In April, Terry's mom took the older three girls and I to Chicago via the Amtrak.  Terr's sisters and their children also joined us on this trip.  We started off the weekend at the Children's museum.  The older kids really enjoyed these huge indoor climbing nets.  I think that is where we spent the majority of our time.  
The next day we went to Shedd's Aquarium.  Lots and lots of fish from all over the world.  It was a good time, but unfortunately Madelynn was throwing up all day.  She was quite the trooper.  Thankfully I had a stroller and she would contently sit in there and did not really say much until she was going to get sick.  Poor baby.  I was amazed that none of her cousins came down with it as they were hugging and holding hands two days prior to her getting sick.  
The girls had a great time swimming at our hotel.  It was a really neat pool with lots of solar lighting.  I love the photo below with Grandma and 6/8 of her grandchildren, walking the streets of downtown Chicago.  

The following weekend, I went to the suburbs of Chicago with my mom and sisters and Madelynn.  We usually do this once or twice a year and primarily go for shopping and eating...mmm.  Some of our favorite spots are the Woodfield Mall, outlet malls, Ikea (if I can talk them into it), Cheesecake Factory and Chevy's.  Courtney always insists that we hit Fudrucker's.  No pictures from this Chicago trip...I guess I did not want to get any of us stuffing our faces with Cheesecake.  

At the end of April, the three older girls, Carrie and her children and I flew out to CA to visit my sister and her family.  We had a great time, and miss them so much.  We filled the days with lots of busyness.  The first day, we relaxed by her pool and soaked up the California sun.  The next two days we went to Disneyland and California Adventure.  We looked hilarious with our 3 sets of double strollers and 8 young kids walking through the parks.  They all did so great!  The next day brought cool ocean breezes and more sun as we visited Huntington beach.  This place was beautiful.  The waves were incredible!  There was actually a rip current warning so the beach patrol would get on his loud speaker and advise the surfers to stay close to shore.  The kids loved it, played for hours in the sand and ran away from the waves.  They were exhausted by the time we left.  It was very sad for my kids to leave their cousins behind.  Emma had the roughest time and cried for them on and off the entire flight back to Detroit.  She cried for them the next day even.  It broke my heart.  

I have taken a few trips down to Ann Arbor to see some friends of ours from church.  Ryan is awaiting a double lung transplant at UofM hospital because of the disease he has called Cystic Fibrosis.  This couple is very dear to us and they are an amazing testimony to all.  Their faith and hope throughout all of this emotional roller coaster is incredibly strong.  We are very excited to watch Ryan's progress as he continues to get stronger to be relisted on the transplant list for the second time.  We are very hopeful that he will be able to receive new lungs very quickly after he is relisted.  Thank-you to all of you who have been praying for them!! 

Well, that has been a brief update on all that has happened in the last month and a half!  We are all very excited for school to be out!  Isabelle is finally done with preschool...I am so glad!  Only a few more weeks and the older girls will be done too!  Hooray!

No comments: